At Plum, we're on a mission to help people lead a healthier financial life. We're building a quirky, intelligent assistant that links to your bank, understands your spending habits and helps you save more, invest in things that matter and avoid overspending on your bills. We like to think of Plum as your money's best friend 👫
Design and architect our data platform
One of the core tenets of Plum is "intelligence from data". Our customers trust us to save the perfect amount for them and provide actionable insights and ways for them to make the most of their money. As such, having a solid data platform is very important for us, both from an application but also from a business perspective, allowing product teams to track their KPIs efficiently.
We're looking for an experienced data engineer to join us and architect our data platform. This is a greenfield project and you’ll be the first person in the data engineering team, so you’ll get a lot of freedom to design our systems using best practices. Experience or interest in finding and hiring great talent is also important, since the team will grow in the future.
As part of the role you will:
- Aggregate multiple data sources from production and external analytics systems, building datasets that the whole company will rely on for business intelligence.
- Build systems and tools to allow product teams and data scientists to easily deploy and test ML models from fraud detection, NLP, transaction clustering etc.
- Contribute to backend engineering and launch microservices.
- Design, build and launch new data pipelines in production.
- Educate our team on data modelling design principles and best practices.
- Hire more engineers!
- You’re excited about wrangling big amounts of data (we're currently tracking about 100 million bank transactions).
- You've built or worked on a significant data platform before and can talk about what worked and what you would do differently.
- You're keen to apply best practices in data engineering and learnt from previous mistakes.
- You want to build a product that makes people better off.
- You like uncertainty and want to figure out how to do things that haven’t been done before.
- You're a true team player and inherently positive; where others see problems, you see solutions.
Bonus fist-bumps 👊 if you have
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform.
- Worked with pandas, tensorflow and natural language processing (NLP).
- Taken part in open source projects.
How we work
We work in "squads" – a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of KPIs to monitor and improve. We have 3 of these squads right now – Savings, Investments and Black Ops. As a data engineer you'll primarily work alongside the squads but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.
Our culture: openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
What we offer
- Bucketfuls of challenging problems to solve, so hopefully that's your thing! Our job is to take a complicated, archaic domain and make it simple and accessible to everyone.
- One of the best learning experiences of your life. You'll get to work with extremely smart and capable people, with backgrounds in finance, physics, history, computing, languages and more.
- Company stock options – we're all in this together.
- Work from our London office whenever you want.
- Team trip to secret destinations once a year ✈️
- Plants, lots of plants 🌱
- Fresh fruit (plums obviously), snacks with varying health benefits and great coffee. Because you can't be a startup without great coffee.
Be one of the first to join in Athens 🇬🇷
Plum's been a Londoner all its life. This is our first European office and it will house part of our engineering and operations teams. You'll play an integral part in shaping up the office and culture, as well as growing the team there.