At Plum, we're on a mission to help people lead a healthier financial life. We're building a quirky Messenger chatbot that links to your bank, understands your spending habits and helps you save more, invest in things that matter and avoid overspending on your bills. We like to think of Plum as your money's best friend 👫
Build complex financial systems and beautiful customer experiences
We are looking for software engineers from a variety of backgrounds and with a range of skills to join our engineering team in London. You'll get to work on transaction ingestion, money movements, investments, data pipelines, user-facing features and our in-house chatbot framework. It's a really good chance to get your hands dirty with a product that is already used by 200,000 people in the UK.
Our stack & approach
We ❤️ Python, React, Postgres and Redis. We don't care if you're a Pythonista or not – Python's elegance comes from its simplicity so you'll be able to pick it up quickly. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations. It's actually a pretty exciting period as we've just started our move from Heroku to GCP and Kubernetes (scaling issues and all...) 🚀
How we work
We work in "squads" – a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of KPIs to monitor and improve. We have 3 of these squads right now – Savings, Investments and Black Ops. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.
Our culture: openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
What we look for
Technical knowledge is critical but we are a startup treading in uncharted territory so attitude is even more important. We're looking for people that like uncertainty and want to figure out how to do things that haven’t been done before. You're a true team player and inherently positive. Where others see problems, you see solutions.
What we offer
- Bucketfuls of challenging problems to solve, so hopefully that's your thing! Our job is to take a complicated, archaic domain and make it simple and accessible to everyone.
- One of the best learning experiences of your life. You'll get to work with extremely smart and capable people, with backgrounds in finance, physics, history, computing, languages and more.
- Company stock options – we're all in this together.
- 25 days holiday a year, excluding bank holidays (33 in total).
- Work from our Athens office whenever you want.
- Team trip to secret destinations once a year ✈️
- Plants, lots of plants 🌱
- Fresh fruit (plums obviously), snacks with varying health benefits and great coffee. Because you can't be a startup without great coffee.