At Plum, we're on a mission to help everyone be financially better off. We're building an intelligent financial assistant that links to your bank, understands your spending habits and helps you save more, invest in things that matter and avoid overspending on your bills. We like to think of Plum as your money's best friend 👫
We're VC-backed, having raised ~£6m to date, and we're a team of 30 passionate people with offices in London and Athens.
Engineering at Plum
Our engineers come from a variety of backgrounds (physics, computer science, music, even history!) and we welcome all levels of experience. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations.
We currently operate a Python monolith on a 80+ pod Kubernetes cluster on Google Cloud Platform and wrangle ~1TB of data in Postgres and BigQuery. You'll get to work on bank data ingestion, payments, investments, data pipelines, user-facing features and our in-house chat framework (think NLP). On top, you'll play an integral role in taking Plum's infrastructure to an exciting next level – a suite of fault-tolerant, self-contained backend services. It's a really good chance to get your hands dirty with a product that is already used by 500,000 people in the UK.
How we work
We work in "squads" – a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of KPIs to monitor and improve. We have 3 of these squads right now – Data Aggregation, Wealth and Growth. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.
Our culture: openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
What we look for
Technical knowledge is critical but we are a startup treading in uncharted territory so attitude is even more important. We're looking for people that like uncertainty and want to figure out how to do things that haven’t been done before. You're a true team player and inherently positive. Where others see problems, you see solutions.
What we offer
- Bucketfuls of challenging problems to solve, so hopefully that's your thing! Our job is to take a complicated, archaic domain and make it simple and accessible to everyone.
- One of the best learning experiences of your life. You'll get to work with extremely smart and capable people, with backgrounds in finance, physics, history, computing, languages and more.
- Very competitive pay and company stock options – we're all in this together.
- Work from our London office whenever you want.
- Team trip to secret destinations once a year ✈️
- Plants, lots of plants 🌱
- Fresh fruit (plums obviously), snacks with varying health benefits and great coffee. Because you can't be a startup without great coffee.