Web Engineer (React)
At Plum, we're on a mission to help people lead a healthier financial life. We're building a quirky Messenger chatbot that links to your bank, understands your spending habits and helps you save more, invest in things that matter and avoid overspending on your bills. We like to think of Plum as your money's best friend 👫
Engineering at Plum
Our engineers come from a variety of backgrounds (physics, computer science, music, even history!) and we welcome all levels of experience. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations.
Build complex financial systems and a beautiful customer experience
Plum is primarily a chatbot which turns into a mobile-first web app (through Messenger webviews) for richer interactions like onboarding, graphs, activity feeds, document viewing and the like. It plays a critical part in the overall Plum experience. We use ES7, React, Redux and we're currently in ❤️ with Redux Sagas.
How we work
We work in "squads" – a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of KPIs to monitor and improve. We have 3 of these squads right now – Savings & Insights, Investments and Growth. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.
Our culture: openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
What we look for
- You’ll have at least 1 year’s experience working as a developer in a business environment
- You have a good sense of design & architecture when it comes to your code
- Past experience in shipping React applications used by lots of users is a plus
- You want to build things first and foremost for the customer
- You're a true team player and inherently positive. Where others see problems, you see solutions.
What we offer
- Bucketfuls of challenging problems to solve, so hopefully that's your thing! Our job is to take a complicated, archaic domain and make it simple and accessible to everyone.
- One of the best learning experiences of your life. You'll get to work with extremely smart and capable people, with backgrounds in finance, physics, history, computing, languages and more.
- Competitive pay and company stock options – we're all in this together.
- Work from our London office whenever you want.
- Team trip to secret destinations once a year ✈️
- Plants, lots of plants 🌱
- Fresh fruit (plums obviously), snacks with varying health benefits and great coffee. Because you can't be a startup without great coffee.
Be one of the first to join in Athens 🇬🇷
Plum's been a Londoner all its life. This is our first European office and it will house part of our engineering and operations teams. You'll play an integral part in shaping up the office and culture, as well as growing the team there